In 2010, Qteam received a summer stipend from QPIRG Concordia towards producing Crée par des Queers Made This – a visual history of queer events from the past 5 years in Montreal. The zine was put together by Kat Butler and Emma Russell, with the support of the rest of the collective as well as dozens of folks from Montreal’s radical queer communities who generously shared from their personal archives.
Our motivation for putting this project together was:
- because queer history didn’t end with stonewall, or even sex garage
- because we want to remember that fundraiser party for shawn brant, anticapitalist dating workshop, pink bloc for gaza, panel on the criminalization of HIV, or workshop on anti-ableism in queer communities.
- because events and histories can get lost across language barriers and forgotten over time, but we want future generations of queers to know what we’ve been up to
- because it can be hard if not impossible to learn about the queer history of a town, even when you grew up here.
- because if we don’t write down our histories then no one else will!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to order a copy!